The sacred Hindu day on Tuesday 13th February
- This day is the important Hindu festival of Mahashivarathri
- This marks the start of the sacred Tamil calendar month Masi
- The day is also a day of Maha Pradosham
Thus, 3 grand occasions fall on a single day on 13th February.
It was observed that a substantial crowd of devotees undertaking the mountain route (Girivalam) from early morning 4.00AM.
A sequence of sacred events are scheduled to be performed in the temple of Lord Arunachaleswarar:
- Laksharchana from the morning
- Pradosham Pooja in the evening
- The deity of Lord Sundareswarar carried on the carriage of silver bull to offer darshan to the devotees in the evening.
- Midnight: The annual special Abhiskhekham performed on the deity of Lingothpawar in the 1st corridor Koshtam
- Adorning the deity of Lord Arunachaleswarar with silver kavas am (shield)
- Adorning the deity with ‘Thaazhampoo’ (screw-pine flower) and performing Deeparadhanai
- Grand Nadhaswaram recital in front of the Temple Adornment Mandapam by Nadaswara Vidwan Pichandi and Group